Kate and Gerry McCann want to highlight their experiences at the hands
of the British press during the judicial investigation into the
The couple, whose daughter, Madeleine went missing in May 2007, were
among those named yesterday as potential witnesses in an investigation
provoked by anger at journalists' illegal interception of phone
But the couple's spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, said there was no
evidence their phones had been hacked.
He said the couple, who live in Rothley, hope to be granted "core
participant status" in the inquiry, expected to deliver its report in a
This would give them the right to be represented by a legal team, who
could cross-examine witnesses and make opening and closing statements.
Mr Mitchell said the remit of the inquiry was far wider than phone
"It is going to be looking at press ethics and media activity in general
and they are deemed to be relevant witnesses on that basis," he said.
"Assuming they get that status, the plan will be that they will give
evidence about their treatment at the hands of the press more
Inquiry officials appearing at the High Court, in London, yesterday
published a list of names and organisations who will appear as
They included former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks,
former senior Metropolitan Police officer John Yates, News
International, the Guardian newspaper, Express Newspapers and the
The McCanns have spoken and written about press intrusion and
misrepresentation of their campaign to find Madeleine, who disappeared
from her family's holiday flat in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz,
in the Algarve, on May 3, 2007, as her parents dined out nearby with
In March 2008, they accepted a payment and front page apologies from
It related to what they said were 100 "grotesque and grossly defamatory
allegations" in the Daily Express, Daily Star, Sunday Express and the
Daily Star Sunday.
Mr Mitchell has previously told the Leicester Mercury it is possible he
was a victim of illegal attempts to access his mobile phone messages at
the height of the case.
He said, in July this year: "We were not naive.
"At that time, we knew it was a possibility that this was going on so we
were always careful about what we said in messages."
Other people whose names were put forward for core participant status
yesterday were former Formula 1 boss Max Mosley and Chris Jefferies, the
former landlord of alleged murder victim Jo Yeates.
Barrister David Sherborne said he also represented another group of more
than 100 "victims'' whose voicemail had allegedly been intercepted.
He said many of those had already launched legal action against News of
the World publisher News Group Newspapers, which is part of News