Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley and
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood
held a media briefing to discuss
Operation Grange, the investigation into
the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
The briefing, held on Thursday, 3
October at New Scotland Yard, was an
update on the investigation so far, and
included the following points.
The Metropolitan Police Service is
receiving increasing co-operation from
the Policia Judiciaria and Judicial
The Policia Judiciaria and Judicial
Authorities received the International
Letter of Request (ILOR) from the Crown
Prosecution Service (CPS).
They have appointed a team of six
officers in Faro, Portugal to carry out
inquiries on our behalf. Accepting and
then sanctioning the ILOR for action
does not mean the Portuguese authorities
will or have reopened the investigation.
DCI Redwood, the senior investigating
officer in the UK, has just returned
from a positive visit to Faro last week,
and we are to revisit in a few short
AC Mark Rowley said today: "We very much
look forward to developing a closer
working relationship with the new team.
We do respect the differences in our
systems and understand that the work we
have requested will be conducted by
Portuguese colleagues. They have invited
us to a meeting in a few weeks time to
receive an update on those inquiries,
prior to completion which is most
There remain a total of 41 persons of
interest, 15 of which there are UK
nationals. The work on three of those 15
UK Nationals nears completion with
indications that they are not of any
further interest to Op Grange.
Of note, we currently have 30 ILORs (31
including Portugal) in various countries
following up requests for information
concerning telephones used in Praia da
Luz at the material time.
We have engaged with Crimewatch to
assist us in a public appeal in their
October programme, and have expanded our
appeal for information to Germany,
Holland and Ireland.
The appeal will piece together new lines
of enquiry, and DCI Redwood will be
appearing alongside Mr and Mrs McCann to
appeal for information.
DCI Andy Redwood said: "The information
and purpose of this broader appeal is
based on phone traffic analysis we have
examined, which determines the footfall
of people in the resort at that time.
Our investigation in the UK remains
ongoing. The total number of documents
we have to go through is 39,148, of
which we have processed 21,614 so far.
Out of those, 4,920 have resulted in
actions to complete of which 2,123 have
"We continue to appeal for information.
If you were at the resort of Praia da
Luz between 28 April and 3 May 2007,
either on holiday or in residence in the
resort during this period, particularly
in the vicinity of the Ocean Club, and
you have not been spoken to by police
either here or in Portugal then please
call us on 0800 0961011 if you are
within the UK. The number for non-UK
residents is +44 207 1580 126.
Alternatively if you do not want to
speak to us directly you can contact
Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555